I am, by no means an expert at the whole blogging thing, but I have worked at it and I have had highs and lows, so I understand what people new to the idea of blogging may be going through. Whether you are trying to make money with your blog, or you just want people to read what you are writing, the goal is very similar. You want traffic, you want that validation of doing it correctly, it's human nature. It's what I want, and I am perfectly comfortable with admitting that.
The problem is understanding what it is you need to do in order to be able to create a popular blog. I am hoping these tips will help shed some light on that.
- The first step you take can be one of the most important steps you take. Deciding on a self hosted blog or a sub-domain, free site. There are some very important factors to consider on this point. Free blogs are great, but in general, will not see the same amount of traffic, they are harder to get rank in google, and they do not belong to you. But, on the upside, they are free. And that is a huge factor. I love, love, love free. And if you are just starting out, and you don't want to spend money on something that may or may not make you money, there is no good reason you shouldn't start with a free blog. Sites like Blogger and Wordpress are some of the Best Blogging Sites, when considering a free blog.
- The second step actually just as important as the first. And that is your blog topic, or Niche. If your goal is to get traffic and to do it without extreme costs and time, you will need to do your Keyword Research! This is not fun, It's time consuming and usually disheartening. Write about anything you want, but as a beginner, you are going to want to have focus here. Your overall theme is not going to work anytime soon if you choose something like Health Insurance, That is way to general and there is way too much competition. But, maybe something like Low cost Health insurance policies in Michigan? It's just a thought, I actually did not check that and have no idea if it would be good or not. The point here is, you will want a theme that is based off a really strong keyword, but is a much more focused version of that. Personally, I like my themes or niches to have something like 5,000 unique visitors, and under 50k results in Google when I search with the "" around the Keyword.
- After you have your site picked out and your niche, you will want to find a pile more of keywords that are all related to your niche, or theme. I would say you will want to find 30-50 to start out, and for each and every keyword, you will want to write a post around it. These keywords will be best if they have more than 50 unique visits a month and have less than 100 results in google.
- Content: This is actually a very important tip. Please do not forget about your content. With your keywords you picked out, you are going to want to try to write a post every single day, At least every other day. You will want that content to be original, engaging, spelled correctly, include your keyword, and be more than 500 words! These are must have rules for a successful blog. Google loves good content.
- Find a way to incorporate social media. This is something I have trouble with. I am not a huge fan of social media, but I am aware of the importance, Social media is king on the internet, and having a presence is very important. Even if you have no follower, or likes or anything of the sort. Give it time, and you will get some.
There you go, just like I promised, 5 General Blogging Tips for Beginners. I do hope you find them helpful. They are very general, but something I attempt to follow with every single one of my blogs.
Thank you for reading blogging for beginners.