Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Search engine indexing for blogging beginners

One of the most difficult times in blogging is waiting for the search engine indexing.  Search engines need to find your blog before your blog will start showing up in search engine results.  And this does not happen overnight.  Sometimes it will not happen for weeks or months.  It depends on many factors.  But there are things you can do to help the process along.  And today we are going to cover some of the ways you can assist search engine indexing.

1.)Submit your URL to search engines
Some people will tell you that this is not a critical step, they will tell you that search engines will index your url when they are ready to and submitting your url will not speed up this process.  It is my opinion that anything I can do to assist the search engines in finding my website is worth doing.  I would suggest at the bare minimum to submit your URL to the three major search engines, that being Google, Yahoo, and Bing.  During the period of waiting, why not be a little pro-active in assisting your chances in search engine indexing. 
2.)Set up Feedburner
Although I am not covering it in detail today, Set up a feedburner account and submit your RSS feed to feedburner.  Feedburner will update your feed every time you make a content change to your blog, and every time your feed is updated you have a chance for your feed and URL to be indexed.  The primary goal here is to create awareness with search engines in order for the spiders to crawl your page more frequently.

3.)Ping your Feed
Ping your feed with sites like Ping-O-Matic, and article pinger.  These sites pull your Rss feed and list them, article pinger lists them on their main page and ping-o-matic pings your site across several sites.  All this increases your visibility, and raises your chances in being found by spiders.

4.)Social Bookmarking
Social bookmarking is a subject I will talk about more in detail later on.  I am not completely convinced that social bookmarking provides any real benefit.  But at the bare minimum I would set up an account with delicious and submit your url as a bookmark with them.  Some people have luck with social bookmarking, personally I don’t see any real benefit from it.  I do not see backlinks from it from any of the major players and I do not get much traffic from them.

5.)Finding a high Page ranking backlink
This is a sure fire way to get indexed, if you can find a site to link to yours or if you can find a place to comment and add your link you greatly increase your chance to be indexed.  Sometimes you need to force the issue.  You can do this by writing content for another website and include your backlink within the content.  Again this is something for another day.
So, there you have it.  5 ways to help along search engine indexing.  This site was indexed this morning when I checked.  It took Google and Yahoo 8 days.  I did not submit my url with any of the search engines.  I am pleased with those results.  I did practice all the other methods I included above as means to improve my search engine indexing.

So, there you have it, the basics of search engine indexing from blogging for beginners.  I do hope this assists you with your project.  It is important to remember to be patient, and to work every day at increasing awareness of your blog of blogs.  It is one of the most important things you can do and a true lesson for beginner bloggers.

Thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment